2021-09-23

Immigrants fom Fukuoka Prefecture to Hawaii !


by Kazu

The first Japanese-American Governor of the State of Hawaii was  Mr. George Ryoichi ARIYOSHI whose father was from Fukuoka.

His mother was from Kumamoto Prefecture.  When the fabulous ceremony for establishing a sister-state affiliation between Hokkaido and Hawaii, I met him and talk with him for a while during waiting taxi called for him and his wife. I was very happy to talk to him.  Kindly he praised my command in English because we were talking in English. But I was surprised to hear him speaking fluent English after our chat. I remember that he played a role as an interpreter during the GHQ ruled Japan after World War Ⅱ. 
He kindly talked with me in English without showing his good command in Japanese. I blushed after remembering good command in Japanese but I am very proud of our talk in Honolulu.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment